Anthony's

Fine Art | Antiques

  • Antiques
  • 19th Century Holy Water Stoup or Font in Champleve Enamel and Marble

19th Century Holy Water Stoup or Font in Champleve Enamel and Marble

1,350.00
cdd5df1e988db13fc798a1a9fa2400fb069bc66e.jpg
2e46f38822c8563676a2aa6d3fcff3dd50cd8354.jpg
bfe6e8c171dfca8148b6eb8232dc1a9f20e46d27.jpg
db4755d19b0ce7f1fc822b926c825cc2a16df223.jpg
607f5d13bb2f2eb42282755f1f38ba9549d5bb8a.jpg
e4dc2bff23876b928a239dd9758ca5bc3cabd42d.jpg

19th Century Holy Water Stoup or Font in Champleve Enamel and Marble

1,350.00

A hand painted image of Jesus Christ on a porcelain oval is surrounded by a champleve enamel frame, with surmounting finals and centre cross, terminating in an attached water font, on green and gold-veined marble that is attached to a brass back plate.

The symbolic importance of water is ancient, and its ritual use can be found in the Old Testament, where it was used for purifying rites privately and liturgically. Holy water is also used to bless ourselves before entering and leaving a church. A church building is a picture of the Catholic Church, and blessing ourselves with holy water upon entering a church reminds us that baptism was how enter the Church, the Body of Christ.

Dimensions: 6.75 x 4 x 1.75 in.

Date of Creation: c. 1850

Add To Cart

A hand painted image of Jesus Christ on a porcelain oval is surrounded by a champleve enamel frame, with surmounting finals and centre cross, terminating in an attached water font, on green and gold-veined marble that is attached to a brass back plate.

The symbolic importance of water is ancient, and its ritual use can be found in the Old Testament, where it was used for purifying rites privately and liturgically. Holy water is also used to bless ourselves before entering and leaving a church. A church building is a picture of the Catholic Church, and blessing ourselves with holy water upon entering a church reminds us that baptism was how enter the Church, the Body of Christ.

Dimensions: 6.75 x 4 x 1.75 in.

Date of Creation: c. 1850